The method of interior prayer articulated by St. Teresa of Jesus for the Discalced Carmel helps cultivate the practice for people at all stages of spiritual development.
- Preparation – Humbly acknowledge the presence of God with a lively faith.
- Reading – Use Scripture or the writings of the Church and Saints to guide topic and conversation with God.
- Meditation – Personally reflect, intellectually and affectively, upon the divine gift or mystery selected for consideration.
- Colloquy – Abandon oneself to God in the exercise of love and its manifestation.
- Thanksgiving – Give humble gratitude to the Lord for all of the gifts received.
- Offering – Moved by loving gratitude, resolve to give something to His Majesty.
- Petition – Humbly implore God’s assistance for success in all resolutions and in truly loving.